A Great Base to Explore North Devon
One of the key things that makes the Ultimate Adventure Centre truly unique is our location. Our extensive site is located in Abbotsham, a small and quiet village near Bideford, allowing us to take advantage of the large variety of coastline that North Devon has to offer. We are only 2 miles from the Blue Flag beach at Westward Ho!, a short walk from the South West Coastal Path, and the world renowned Croyde beach is only a short drive away.
Many schools have used the Ultimate Adventure Centre as a base for their Geography Field Studies Residential. Our location allows school easy access to the outstanding coastline North Devon has to offer, but also to get in some rewarding and challenging activities at the same time.
Lots on our Door Step
We are located on the edge of North Devon’s UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. So whether it’s Geography, History or Ecology you are studying North Devon has something to offer. Below are a sample of what’s on offer;
– Westward Ho! – Coastal Erosion of Abbotsham Cliffs, Natural and Artificial Sea Defences, Long Shore Drift process in action.
– Hartland Point Cliffs – Rock formations and movements
– River Torridge – Fluvial and Tidal flooding.
– Westward Ho! & Hartland – Low Tide Rock Pools, UNESCO Biosphere Sand Dune habitats
– Northam Burrows and Braunton Burrows – UNESCO Biosphere Sand Dune habitats
– Tarka Trail – Stream to River to Estuary to Sea habitats.
– Hartland Quay – Historic Smuggling and Shipwrecks ‘Wrecking’ at .
– Northam Burrows and Braunton Burrows – WWII Army training grounds.
– Bideford Black mineral used for ladies make up & artist prints, more..
– Lime Kilns and Local canal / railways along the ‘Tarka Trail’, more..
– Bideford Quay an International Trade Town / Colony Trades / Smuggling, more.. and even more..
– Appledore and Clovelly fishing villages, more..
These are just a selection of the curricular opportunities that North Devon has to offer. If what you are looking for is not covered please contact us, our knowledge of the local area is vast and will be happy help you achieve the trip you are looking for.